From: Jon Bertrand [SMTP:j...@cirris.com]
Sent: Friday, February 20, 1998 9:13 AM
To: emc-pstc
Subject: FCC Questions.

     Hello Everyone,

     A lot of "budding midnight designers" ask these questions on the
     microcontroller newsgroups so I thought I'd ask them here - and
learn
     something :)

     (If I've missed some FAQ that covers this please let me know.)

     1)  Say I'm building some microcontroller based widget in my home
     business that runs model trains (or whatever).  It's not an
intential
     transmitter, its typically used in the home.  And I want to sell
them.
     Do I need some FCC approval.

     Specifically do I need to:

     1.a)  Spend money having someone test emissions.

     1.b)  File some paperwork with the FCC.

     2)  If I don't have the money for testing - but I really do know how

     to keep my microcontroller quiet (i.e I know loop area, di/dt, and
     maybe even have done lots of other 'approved' products)  - and a
     little in-home testing shows it doesn't bother the rabbit ears or
     show-up on the AM or FM radio.  Would I be in violation of some law
if
     I just sold the darn thing.

     2.a)  Would I be in violation if it really was quiet to CISPR (i.e.
     would have passed).  (i.e. is there now a CE mark like compliance
that
     lets me self declare and assert who's responsible).

     3)  How does the FCC verify that I don't pollute the EM band - do
they
     random sample train widgets or wait for someone to complain.

     Thanks,

     Jon Bertrand
     j...@cirris.com