Rich,

     You state in your reply that:

     >If the capacitors bear a certification mark (e.g., SEMKO or UL), then
     >the capacitors have been appropriately tested and comply with the
     >IEC384-14 requirements for double/reinforced insulation, or with
     >UL 1414 equivalently. As such, no further testing of the capacitors
     >is necessary.
     >
     >If the capacitors do not bear a certification mark, then it is
     >appropriate to test the capacitors per the applicable standard,
     >IEC 384-14 or UL 1414.  (I doubt ordinary capacitors will pass these
     >tests!)

     UL has another category for Recognizing capacitors for the purpose of EMI
     filtering across the line (X) and from phase-to-ground (Y), which is
     UL1283, "Electromagnetic Interference Filters (FOKY2)". There are several
     manufacturers with capacitors listed and some products are listed in both
     categories. Although I'm not intimate with either standard, I believe that
     UL1414 has the more stringent requirements of the two.

     This thread has also resurrected a past experience in my mind. In a past
     life, I remember that selecting a UL1283 capacitor was not allowed by UL
     because it was connected across-the-line. We had to select a UL1414
     capacitor instead even though the capacitor selected was intended for the
     purpose of EMI filtering.

     So, to those more knowledgeable, as assembled UL1283 EMI filters with
maybe
     IEC320 connector, switch, fuseholder, etc included are allowed to connect
     across the line, why aren't the UL1283 EMI capacitors (X) allowed to
     connect for the same purpose? Or is it the fact that they are contained
     within the greater filter's enclosure?

     When is use of UL1283 capacitors allowed and not allowed? What's the
     delineation of acceptability of UL1283 vs UL1414?

     I look forward to any meaningful comments.

     Best regards,
     Ron Pickard
     rpick...@hypercom.com