Frank,

I have used coupling capacitors to bridge insulation several times in the
form of frequency compensated voltage dividers and decoupling caps for opto
 - isolators.  You will find in EN60950:1992  section 2.2.8.1 covers the
subject.  Other standards also often refer to "bridging" components.  In
EN60950 you may use a single approved "Y1" capacitor or two in series of
other approved "U" and "Y" types.

 However at times I find the Y1 caps to be of low tolerance and I need more
precision.  Suitable parts are generally not approved by any agency.  In
these cases I have tested the candidate capacitors as described in IEC 65
under section 14.2.  You will need to perform all three required tests and
store the test results in your technical file.  The tests are a Surge (short
test), Endurance (1500 hours) and a Humidity (21 days).  A total of 30
parts.  I find it prudent to perform the surge test prior to the others as
it immediately screens out several capacitor types (for example Mica types).
  Also, it is not necessary to test every value capacitor you plan to use if
they all appear on the same manufacturers data sheet and the values are not
too far different.  I never argue for parts that are more than a decade
apart.  But this may be up to your inspector.

There are similar requirements for bridging resistors.

Doug Powell
Advanced Energy Industries, Inc.
Ft. Collins, Colorado USA
do...@ftc2.aei.com