Hi,

>My initial question was:
>Is there a need to have a license to posses and operate EMC
>measurement tools?

It seems evident that (in very short form):
- deliberate transmission outside.... not allowed.
- for reception.... ok, as long as you don't do anything
   with any information you might gain from listening
   to ambients, I don't need a license.

Its evident also that for pre-compliance testing any kind of help,
locate and test devices (or measurement tools) can be used without the
need to go to full compliance testing equipment with anechoic
chambers, etc..

Now let me put a more wide open question:
  When do I need a license for a measurement tools?
    For instance, is a RF sweep generator a transmitter?
    Is a wide band RF radiation tracing probe a receiver?

This bring me unavoidable to the general questions:
  What's the definition of a measurement tools in contrast
   to radio communication equipment who govern, I believe,
   the requirements for licenses.
  Where are the transition limits or definitions differences
   between radio com and measurement tools?
  What regulation, rule or any other specification defines
   what is a measurement tool?