Hi,

I am designing a system which will be eventually be certified per UL
2601-1 Safety of Medical Electrical Equipment. The system will not be in
contact with any patients or even be in the vicinity of the patients. It
is basically a film processing system similar to a x-ray film processor.
I am going to use a UPS which will allow the control computer to shut
down gracefully in the event of a control system power failure.

I am considering putting a relay (coil will be connected to the load
side of the facility mains breaker) on the output of the UPS which will
disable the UPS output power in the event that the facility power fails,
or if someone trips the mains. The UPS will continue to have an output
if a power failure is local to the control system.

My question is this - Is it acceptable to shield (isolate via some sort
of flex conduit) the connection between the UPS and the computer so that
only service personnel have access to it? Thereby eliminating the need
for the relay. But, of course this does present the problem of the
presence of live and potentially lethal  power in the system even after
the mains have been switched off. And it also removes some of the
justification for the UPS in the first place.
Anyone have an answer???
Thanx.

Michael B. Riggio                       Phone:  714-348-3214
VOXEL                           Fax:        714-348-8665
26081 Merit Circle, Suite 117   Web:      www.voxel.com
Laguna Hills, CA  92653         Email:   mrig...@voxel.com