Hello Andy, Tommy and group,

Yes Andy, you are fully right, but look at the following situation:

For emisson you insist on test according to A as it's for standard industry
EN 55022:1995
For immunity you need to fulfill the generic immunity standard using the
distinction
as meant in EN 50082-1 i.e. light industrial and residential. Class 2 is for
app. connected to dedicated un-shared mains supply systems exclusively.

Class 2 and Class A apparatus  are not allowed in Class 1 resp. Class B
environments. The otherway around is permitted.

I certainly would advise my customers to fulfill class B thereby making the
same distinction as in the generic standards between (heavy) industrial and
residential/light industrial.

Other product standards refer to the same situation f.i. EN 55103-1:1996
(which by the way still uses the distinction between 10 and 30 meters),
using class B limits for all but heavy industrial, and referring to EN
50082-1 for the definition.

Hope this gives some feed to the  discussion !

Regards,

Ing. Gert Gremmen

== Ce-test, Qualified testing ==
Consultants in EMC, Electrical safety and Telecommunication
Compliance tests for European standards and ce-marking
Member of NEC/IEC voting committee for EMC.
Our Web presence: http://www.cetest.nl
List of current harmonized standards http://www.cetest.nl/emc-harm.htm
15 great tips for the EMC-designer http://www.cetest.nl/features01.htm