Thanks to everyone who responded to this thread so far.

At 09:20 +0100 29/4/99, Colgan, Chris <chris.col...@tagmclarenaudio.com> wrote:

>EN60065:1994 is due to be withdrawn on 1/5/00 and replaced by EN60065:1998
>which is published this year.  The 1998 version is entitled "Audio, video
>and similar electronic apparatus - Safety requirements".  I think this
>indicates that it is almost certain that your product should be tested to
>the relevant parts EN60950.

The CENELEC report which I mentioned in my original post does not mention
any particular issue of EN60065, and having checked my copies of the 1994
and the 1998 edition, I can't see any difference in the scope which would
make me think the 1998 edition is any less applicable to alarms than the
1994 one was. I'm trying to make a logical case for applying one standard
(950/65) or the other but the scope of the standards doesn't give much me
help on this - do you see it differently to me?

_____________

on  Wed, 28 Apr 1999 11:41:46 -0400  "WOODS, RICHARD"
<wo...@sensormatic.com> said:

>My opinion is that EN60950 would apply if the equipment is for business use
>only. Otherwise, EN60065 would apply for household use and "similar"
>purposes.

This is the right sort of logic, I think, but I would have been inclined to
think that 60950 would be appropriate for sophisticated alarms such as
those containing micro-controlled autodiallers etc, whereas for a simple
bell box EN60065 would be a simpler and more appropriate standard to apply.

_____________

on Thu, 29 Apr 1999 08:43:09 +0100 John Allen <john.al...@racalradio.com>
wrote:

>Intruder alarms are covered by the following series of standards:
>
>EN 50130 - Alarm systems

<SNIP>

I found this series of standards in my BS catalogue too, but they look to
me as if they are more oriented to performance and application than to
electrical safety in the design. I'd rather not have to buy copies to
confirm that!

>Also note that this type of product (as well as fire alarms) is under the
>general control of the Construction Products Directive, and that there are
>special EMC requirements in the standards (see EN 50130-4 in particular) -
>not just application of the generics.

This is an interesting point, and I can see the logic behind it. Is this
just supposition on your part John, or do you have a reason to say this
based on something you've read or been told?

There are no standards harmonised under the CPD at present (in fact the CPD
is a right bugger's muddle as far as I can make out, but I digress...).
EN60335-1 notes in its introduction that it covers the essential
requirements of the CPD (as well at the LVD and Machinery Dir. ) but no
such claim is made in the introduction of either 60065 or 60950.

The water does not yet seem any clearer, although it may be somewhat
warmer....!

Regards

Nick.