From:   POWELL, DOUG [SMTP:doug.pow...@aei.com]
Sent:   Monday, August 02, 1999 8:01 PM
To:     EMC-PSTC (E-mail)
Subject:        WEEE Directive

Hello group,

This may be off-topic, then again it maybe not.  It is regulatory for
electronic equipment.

I currently have a copy of the second draft of the "Proposal for a directive
on waste from electrical and electronic equipment".  Now I have done a fair
amount of searching about this and located a number of pages to review on
the Eur-Lex website.  But I still am not sure what the impact is for my
company.  It appears that manufacturers will eventually be required to
provide a free service for recycling their obsolete products.

Does anyone know if and when this goes into force.  And if this comes about
what are the implications to manufacturers who import their products into
the European Community.  What is the appearance of this symbol described as
a "crossed-out wheeled bin"?  What notifications are required in user
documentation?  Is there a requirement to either provide or contract
recycling centers?

Thanks for any help,

-doug

Douglas E. Powell, Compliance Engineer