From: Crabb, John [mailto:jo...@exchange.scotland.ncr.com]
Sent: Thursday, August 05, 1999 3:34 AM
To: 'EMC-PSTC (E-mail)'
Subject: RE: WEEE Directive

Doug, I would have thought you would already have come across the
symbol for the "crossed-out wheeled bin" in the directive 93/86/EEC
which "adapts to technical progress Council Directive 91/157/EEC
on batteries and accumulators containing certain dangerous substances",
the dangerous substances being lead, cadmium, and mercury.

The WEEE directive is a real "bag of worms" - it bans the use of lead
based solder for a start !!!!!
I'm afraid I haven't been following the progress of  this particular
directive
very diligently, since it is really "environmental" rather than "safety",
but
there is certainly a lot of criticism from industry flying around.
John Crabb, Development Excellence (Product Safety) ,
NCR  Financial Solutions Group Ltd.,  Kingsway West, Dundee, Scotland. DD2
3XX
E-Mail :john.cr...@scotland.ncr.com
Tel: +44 (0)1382-592289  (direct ). Fax +44 (0)1382-622243.   VoicePlus
6-341-2289.