Chaz, Why do they call UL a non-profit organization?
Barry
Anritsu Co.
--------------------
From: "Grasso, Charles (Chaz)" <gra...@louisville.stortek.com>, on 11/24/99
1:23 PM:

Forgive a jaded old man but two things jumped out at me when I read the article.

1. "In many other countries, standards are set or approved by a government
entity with industry involvement. U.S. safety standards, on the other hand, are
set primarily by private industry - either in independent labs such as UL or by
industry associations or organizations. The CPSC, an independent regulatory
agency charged with protecting consumers from hazardous products, imposes
federal regulations only when it believes industry's voluntary efforts are
insufficient. "

Oh Boy. Lets see look like UL is ripe for a government takeover to me!!

2. Many experts interviewed contend that UL's recent problems can be traced to
the way the company is organized and funded - with more than nine-tenths of its
revenue coming from companies for testing products. UL also sets industry
safety standards - which it then measures products against - but does not
charge for that. Lets see - if we reorganize and - more importantly - change
the funding (a euphemism for taxation) then we'll all be safer!!

Sorry - Just could not resist..