---------- Original Text ----------

From: "Brian At Work" <bkundew...@qtm.net>, on 10/11/99 6:51 AM:

Barry and all,

My confusion in understanding the EN55011 classification for group 1 and
group 2 has to do with the phrase "in which radio-frequency energy is
intentionally generated".  I can see how a microwave or an induction furnace
would satisfy this description, but I was confused where it listed "Spot
Welders". Spot Welders are usually not operated by RF frequencies. Usually
they run at line frequency or DC.

I guess I wasn't thinking that generating a spark (such as with a DC welder)
would be intentionally generating RF which I assume would also satisfy the
Group 2 classification.

Our company makes a metal analysis instrument that uses high voltage DC to
perform a 'sputtering process which is a type of arcing or sparking. My
questions on this subject was for the purpose of trying to determine if it
would fall under the Group 2 classification. My current thinking is that it
would.

Let me know if you disagree.

Thanks,
Brian Kunde