Brian,

You hit the nail on the head when you stated "uses RF in some way to heat,
melt,
or spark erode" to describe Group 2 devices. That's the main distinction. In
Group 1 devices the RF is used for the internal functioning of the equipment
itself (clock signals). In Group 2 devices, the RF is used to affect a material.

Hope this helps,
Paul Boudreau

>       From: "Brian At Work" <bkundew...@qtm.net>
>       To: "IEEE Group" <emc-p...@ieee.org>
>       Subject: EN55011 Group 1 and Group 2
>

>       Hello Group,
>
>       For those of you who are familiar with EN55011 or CISPR11 what criteria
is
>       used to determine if a product falls under Group 1 or Group 2? The
standards
>       give some examples of product types but there should be a base criteria
>       which was used.
>
>       Group 1 products seem to be smaller bench type test equipment like
signal
>       generators, spectrum analyzers, and such. Group 2 seems to be products
that
>       generate a spark or uses RF in some way to heat, melt, or spark erode.
The
>       gap between these two groups seem to be wide which leaves a very large
gray
>       area.
>
>       Is there a defined criteria that exists? Please feel free to give me
your
>       thoughts so we can draw up our own criteria if necessary.
>
>       Thank you in advance,
>
>       Brain Kunde
>       Compliance Testing Center
>       LECO Corp.
>

>       ---------
>       This message is coming from the emc-pstc discussion list.
>       with the single line: "unsubscribe emc-pstc" (without the
>       quotes).  For help, send mail to ed.pr...@cubic.com,
>       jim_bac...@monarch.com, ri...@sdd.hp.com, or
>       roger.volgst...@compaq.com (the list administrators).

     /\         Paul J. Boudreau
    \\ \        EMC Engineer - Workgroup Servers
   \ \\ /
  / \/ / /      Sun Microsystems
 / /   \//\     P.O. Box 4003 M/S 03-2521
 \//\   / /     Burlington, MA 01803-0903
  / / /\ /      (781) 442-0442 (voice)
   / \\ \       (781) 442-1575 (fax)
    \ \\
     \/         paul.boudr...@east.sun.com