Hello from Tel Aviv:

I would say use for products destined for Europe (rated 230 V only) use IEC
127 fuses; for products destined for North America and Japan (rated 100-125
V) use UL Listed fuses; for wide voltage range products (100-240 V for
example) use UL Listed fuses. All this applies to operator-accessible
fuseholders.

For internal non-accessible fuses, I would say if you wish to market
products worldwide, better to use UL Listed or Recognized fuses. As you
know, some Recognized fuses also have IEC 127 coverage. UL Listed fuses
however, can handle 10,000A short circuit and have less of a chance to
explode during an abnormal test. I never had a UL Listed or Recognized
non-operator accessible fuse rejected by a European test house.

Regards

At 13:56 01/10/99 +0100, Colgan, Chris wrote:

>Just my old British 2d's worth but...
>
>In my experience it is better to conform "by the book" to as much stuff as
>you can.  If this means fitting IEC127 fuses to 230V versions and UL248
>fuses to 120V versions so be it.
>
>Why?  Because it gives you scope to get test labs to allow marginal
>temperature rises, clearances, materials etc., things that may be expensive
>to rectify.
>
>Chris Colgan
>EMC & Safety
>TAG McLaren Audio Ltd

Peter Merguerian
Managing Director
Product Testing Division
I.T.L. (Product Testing) Ltd.
Hacharoshet 26, POB 211
Or Yehuda 60251, Israel

Tel: 972-3-5339022 Fax: 972-3-5339019
e-mail: pmerguer...@itl.co.il
website: http://www.itl.co.il

THE UL 1950 SEMINAR: 12-13th October 1999
Check it out! http://www.itl.co.il/seminar.htm