Kevin,

I had that same issue with I was working with the EMC Directive.   In fact, I
had five very different EMC test plan signed-off by different EMC Competent
Bodies.  The bottom line is that interpretations do vary between Notified
Bodies.   The way they get around this issue, at least with EMC Directive, is
that once a project has been started by one Competent Body, another one would
generally not agree to take over the project.  In fact, we were required to
submit a Declaration of Submittal to two of our Competent Bodies stating that
the product submitted were not being submitted to any other Competent Body.

So my response to your question of "Who rules?"... It's whichever Notified
Body you contracted to do the work.   Once a certificate is issued by one
Notified Body, another Notified Body technically cannot challenge that
certification.

In retrospect, I am quite in favor of this because it prevents a manufacturer
from 'shopping around for the answers they want to hear'.    Once the
manufacturer selects the Competent or Notified Body, they should live by that
decision or start with another, from scratch.  The Competent Body or Notified
Body should not be expected to 'adopt' the philosophy of another Competent or
Notified Body.

Tin