At 03:39 PM 8/20/99 -0600, POWELL, DOUG wrote:

>Hello all,
>
>I have a very innovative engineer who has come up with a design idea that
>uses concrete as an insulating compound in a very large inductor for a 200
>kW switching power supply.  Yup, this is the stuff you buy down at the local
>building supply company.  He was very proud of the idea, but until he came
>up with it I think he was pretty desperate.  I'm thinking I should make him
>desperate again but would like to be able to give him a clearly reasoned-out
>explanation.
>
>Has anyone ever had experience with using concrete or mortar in a high
>voltage application?  What are the concerns here?  It is my understanding
>that it does not actually "dry" but it cures with all the water contained
>inside.

Been following this interesting discussion, and I
have a few concerns to raise.  Maybe someone could
possibly set me straight since that seems to be
happening a lot lately.  <cough>

First as has been stated, concrete floors are great
for conductive areas.  But I believe with the quality
checks I did at another company, we're talking in
the megohms.  But there's a lot of buts that go
along with that.

Second, I was surprised to find that concrete has
nearly the same linear expansivity as copper!  Glass
on the other hand is way off. So that turned out to
be not a concern.

Third, is the obvious thermal insulation properties.
I'd be concerned about that at elevated temps.

Fourth, is an odd thing that effects concrete
structures.  Apparently  well known in civil
engineering circles.  Not me so don't ask.  It's
called "Alkali Silica Reaction" (ASR). Otherwise
goes by the common name Concrete Cancer.  Over time,
concrete structures can eat themselves up from the
inside.  So I'd definitely get in touch with one of
friendly Civil Engineers to find out more about it.

Fifth, I believe that since concrete is alkaline in
nature a low reactivity with rebar happens. So I
don't think you'd have a problem there.

Sixth, I believe that concrete is hydrophilic and
loves water.  And yes, it does not "dry".  I was
making a stone wall along a brook long ago.  A
mason (who had been a friend in high school) came
by to give me some pointers.  I wanted to set some
of the base stones in concrete but they were to
be below the water level.  "Just do it" he said,
explaining it was chemical reaction taking place
and not just a simple wet mixture drying.  Lo and
behold, it worked.  So I'd be careful if this
construction is to be subjected to high humidity.
It would seem to me that the concrete would "breath"
humidity at a certain rate much slower than expected.

Seventh, concrete is excellent for compressive
loads. Not tensive.

Eight, vibration.  Have not a clue on that one.
If you're doing Bellcore, definitely check into
that one.

Ninth, properties of concrete depend greatly
upon the aggregates used (cement) and it's
proportion to water when mixed.  If you want
repetitive results, mixing may have to be an
issue for strict procedural control. Otherwise,
it's left wide open for anyone to assume.

Regards,  Doug