Matt:

Agreed that digging your own hole in the ground is a tad costly for creating
RF shielding. OTOH, when the salt is removed from a mine, they don't
back-fill it to delete the insult to Mother Earth. So, as the miners extract
their economic interest, they move on, leaving access and big, relatively
useless holes. To paraphrase Dire Straits; "Shielding for nothing and your
holes for free."

Obviously, a hole in the ground may yield shielding, but it's very echoic.
It's a long correlation to OATS conditions.

My flash on the subject had to do with the myriad problems we have with the
darn ground plane. We want it big but cheap, highly conductive but exposed
to the weather, made up of repairable (or replaceable) pieces but
electrically smooth and flat.

There's not much cheaper in this world than water and salt. Combined into a
conductive fluid, gravity (and the fact that the Earth is flat) pulls the
fluid into a nice flat, smooth surface. Maybe the conductivity of the
near-saturated solution is good enough to use by itself. Or possibly the
salt water could be used to flood the existing mesh or plate ground plane to
just a half-inch or so, where it would function to smooth the surface
roughness of the underlying conductive metal. (We might need to provide some
type of active galvanic protection to prevent corrosion.)

I don't have any current need to investigate this idea, as I'm primarily
involved in Military related EMC. But the cost/benefits seem very
interesting, and someone may be able to follow up on it. (I'm visualizing
those big, shallow salt marshes at the south end of San Francisco Bay. Or
maybe someone has a computer routine for investigating OATS performance.)

Ed

:-):-):-):-):-):-):-):-):-):-):-):-):-):-):-):-):-):-):-):-):-):-):-):-):-)
Ed Price
ed.pr...@cubic.com
Electromagnetic Compatibility Lab
Cubic Defense Systems
San Diego, CA.  USA
619-505-2780 (Voice)
619-505-1502 (Fax)
Military & Avionics EMC Services Is Our Specialty
Shake-Bake-Shock - Metrology - Reliability Analysis