Please, Let me jump in.
A Low Cost Pre-Compliance Test Area (LCPCTA) can give results almost as good
as an Open Air Test Area (OATS) if you know three things 1.) The test area
is free of metal and is large enough.  2.) The test area is STABLE, as in no
metal moves, ground conditions do not change or are minimum, etc.   3.) How
your test area compares with your commercial EMC lab.  What I have done in
the past is set up a test area in a warehouse (32x32 ft. with a 22 ft. high
metal roof) purchased a battery powered comb generator that provided an
output at 5 MHz. and every 5 MHz up to 1.5 GHz. Scanned the warehouse
picking at least one frequency in each octave, like the site attenuation
frequencies (80, 100, 200, etc.).  Then sent the comb generator to a
commercial EMC lab and have them scan the same frequencies.  Now you have
two sets of numbers, and from there you can determine have far off your test
area is.  You will need to rework the difference back into your correction
factors for each lab you use.  This is a simple explanation but it works and
as long as there are no large changes in response at your site, you should
be able to correlate.  Also, use the EMC lab where you sent the comb
generator for your testing.  Using this method I was able to correlate with
four commercial labs (OATS) and one Anechoic chamber to within 2 dB.  P.S.
My test area had No ground plane.
I set up this pre-compliance lab for a large semiconductor company's remote
design group and it is still in use today.
Al Patrick, Sr. EMC Engineer - EMC lab Manager
Scientific-Atlanta Inc.