Muriel,

First of all these answers are based on my knowledge of the safety standards
for Information Technology Equipment and Test Equipment, which is what our
company produces.

        # Safety standards seem only to aim the protection the equipment...
And
        the operator/user of the equipment? Is there any standard for
protection
        of the user/operator?

Safety standards are for the protection of the user/operator and to some
extent, maintenance personnel. They don't really cover protection of the
equipment. In fact in the Information Technology Equipment standards (UL
1950, IEC 950, and EN 60950) the equipment will not fail if the equipment
catches fire so long as the fire doesn't spread outside of the equipment or
emit to much toxic smoke/gases i.e. not a hazard to personnel.

        # The VCCI Standard is more restrictive than the European Norms
(ENs)??

Not sure about this one. As far as I know the VCCI standards are Japanese
EMC only standards. I'm not sure how they compare to the EN standards for
EMC. I imagine someone else in the group can elaborate on this one.

        # Is there any standard which covers the effects of Non-Ionizing
        Radiation (Electromagnetic Radiation) on the human health?

The standards I have only deal with Ionizing radiation. All safety standards
are product specific i.e. each standard has a scope which indicates what
type of equipment it is to be used for. You must use the proper standard for
your type of equipment. For instance the IEC 1010-1 standard has the
following scope-"This international standard specifies general safety
requirements for electrical equipment intended for professional, industrial
process, and educational use, including equipment and computing devices for:
measurement and test, control, laboratory use, and accessories intended for
use with the above. (e.g. sample handling equipment)." You only need to meet
the requirements of the standard for your type of equipment. So if the
standard required for your type of equipment has something about
Non-ionizing radiation then you would need to address that. If it has no
requirement, you don't need to worry about it.

Hope this helps.

Kurt Andrews
Compliance Engineer
Tracewell Systems, Inc.
567 Enterprise Dr.
Westerville, OH 43081
Ph. 614-846-6175
Fax 614-846-7791
        I'm making a study on EMC & Safety Standards, and some questions
        appeared. I'd like to post them to the group to see if someone can
help
        me. The questions are:

        # Safety standards seem only to aim the protection the equipment...
And
        the operator/user of the equipment? Is there any standard for
protection
        of the user/operator?

        # The VCCI Standard is more restrictive than the European Norms
(ENs)??

        # Is there any standard which covers the effects of Non-Ionizing
        Radiation (Electromagnetic Radiation) on the human health?

        I think that's all... Thanks in advance for those who can help!

        Best Regards,

                        Muriel

        Muriel Bittencourt de Liz
        GRUCAD - Grupo de Concepção e Análise de Dispositivos
Eletromagnéticos
        Universidade Federal de Santa Catarina
        Caixa Postal - 476     88040-900 - Florianópolis - SC - BRASIL
        Fone: +55.48.331.9649 - Fax: +55.48.234.3790
        e-mail: mur...@grucad.ufsc.br
        ICQ#: 9089332