Request For Comment:
  Feasibility of on-line RF and EMC test instrument marketplace

As a small R&D firm, we sometimes run into a situation in which we have RF
and/or EMC test equipment laying around that we have no use for anymore.
And on occassion we need a specialized test instrument for just a single
long-term project so renting is not an option. After talking with some
collegues, I came up with the idea of developing an on-line equipment
exchange for the EMC and RF testing community. This equipment exchange
would allow EMC, RF and coms engineers to sell, trade or buy surplus and
used test equipment. It is not intended to be just another auction site.

The basic services I am thinking of are as follows:
   For sale or wanted (for trade?):
the following types of equipment:

EMC test equipment: from spectrum analyzers to anechoic chambers or GTEMs,
from cables to antennas, debugging equipment, software, old copies of test
standards, etc.

RF test equipment: network analyzers, RF sources, communication analyzers,
meters, measurement software, positioning hardware, anechoic materials,
antennas, etc.

Various: oscilloscopes, power supplies, books on electromagnetics, anything
else potentially useful to a test lab.

My goal is to primarily list high-quality laboratory grade equipment, for
labs  needing better used/refurbished test equipment than is available at
the local HAM fests. Submissions will be screened to eliminate "noise" and
inappropriate entries.

A quick-and-dirty demo is set up at:
   http://www.orionscientific.com/market/index.htm
with some examples of what I have in mind.

With this RFC, I would like to get the list members' input regarding the
following issues:

a. the basic question: is there a need or want for such a service? how many
of you gentlefolk would use a service like this, to buy or to sell? I
imagine it would be interesting for smaller labs, how about the bigger
ones? Any ideas on how to go about reaching the people potentially
interested in it? Advertising in eg. ITEM? Word of mouth?

b. any suggestions for modifications to the initial setup? Additional
categories perhaps, like employment offers, full-time, contract or consulting?

c. in order to cover the costs incurred with providing a professional
service like this, we will have to charge a small fee. I think I would
prefer to be asked a small flat-rate percentage after (and only then) the
item gets sold,
with enforcement through the honor system. Any thoughts on this? Also,
would there be a need for a rating system to keep people honest, like for
example eBay has?

d. have I missed any obvious issues?

Thanks for your time. Please respond directly to:
excha...@orionscientific.com

I will post a summary of the responses.

Regards,
-Robert

Robert Bonsen
Principal Consultant
Orion Scientific
email: rbon...@orionscientific.com
phone: (512) 347 7393; FAX: (512) 328 9240