Having followed some of the discussions on cable colors,
I want to share some information regarding the use of cables attached
to the mains supply in IT products, where EN 60950 references
IEC 60227 for PVC wires.
In Europe this IEC standard transforms to
HD 21.1, which in Germany becomes VDE 0281, and for the cable colors
calls up VDE 0293, which corresponds to HD 308 as mentioned below.

I. HD 21.1 S3 (PVC insulated cables) states in Scl. 4. Core Identification:

4.1 General requirements

The cores shall be identified by colors,.....

and  in Scl. 4.2

4.2 Colour schemes

4.2.1 Flexible Cables
The core colours, and their rotational position, for flexible cables and
cords
shall be in accordance to HD 308.

II. HD 308 (Identification and use of cores of flexible cables)

2. Identification of cores

2.1 The cores shall be identified by color, except for the cases mentioned
in 2.3 and 2.3.
Table 1 indicates the colours of the cores, according to the number of
cores, as well as
the order of rotation of those colours.
If the number of cores is above 5, cable color (except PE) is black and
numerals are used to identify them.

Table 1
|--------+------------+------------+----------------+----------------|
| Number                                             Colour of cores |
| of                                                                 |
| cores                                                              |
|--------+------------+------------+----------------+----------------|
|        |            |            |                |other colours,  |
|    1   | green/yello| light blue |                |except green and|
|        | w          |            |                |yellow and any  |
|        |            |            |                |bicolour        |
|        |            |            |                |identification  |
|        |            |            |                |other than the  |
|        |            |            |                |combination of  |
|        |            |            |                |colours green   |
|        |            |            |                |and yellow.     |
|--------+------------+------------+----------------+----------------|
|    2   | light blue | brown      |                |                |
|--------+------------+------------+----------------+----------------|
|    3   | green/yello| brown      |                |   light blue   |
|        | w          |            |                |                |
|--------+------------+------------+----------------+----------------|
|    4   | green/yello| black      | light blue     | brown          |
|        | w          |            |                |                |
|--------+------------+------------+----------------+----------------|
|    5   | green/yello| black      | light blue     | brown          |
|        | w          |            |                | | black        |
|--------+------------+------------+----------------+----------------|

2.2 It is not necessary to identify by colour the cores of flat flexible
cables without sheath.

2.3 For the use of single-core sheathed cables, identification by
continuous
coloring of the insulation is not necessary. However, in that case, the
ends
of the cores shall be identified, during installation:
- by the bicolour identification green/yellow for the protective conductor,
- by the color light blue for the neutral conductor.

3. Conditions of use of cores according to their identification by colour

Table 2
|--------------+---------------+--------------------+------------------|
|  Colours of  |Characteristics|                    |Conditions for the|
|    cores     |of the circuit |                    |      cables      |
|              |               |                    |        1         |
|              |               |                    |conductor         |
|              |               |                    ||           2 to 5|
|              |               |                    |conductors        |
|--------------+---------------+--------------------+------------------|
|              |with protective|green/yellow core is|green/yellow core |
|              |conductor      |used as protective  |is used as        |
|              |               |conductor           |protective        |
|              |               |                    |conductor         |
|--------------+---------------+--------------------+------------------|
|              |without        |green/yellow core   |green/yellow core |
|              |protective     |shall not be used   |shall not be used |
| green/yellow |conductor      |                    |                  |
|--------------+---------------+--------------------+------------------|
|              |with neutral   |Light blue core used|Light blue core   |
|              |conductor      |as neutral conductor|used as neutral   |
|              |               |                    |conductor         |
|--------------+---------------+--------------------+------------------|
|              |               |Light blue core     |Light blue core   |
|              |               |shall not be used as|may be used for   |
|              |               |a protective        |other purposes    |
|              |without neutral|conductor. Countries|except as         |
|  light blue  |conductor      |are free to admit or|protective        |
|              |               |preclude the use of |conductor         |
|              |               |the light blue core |                  |
|              |               |as a conductor other|                  |
|              |               |than the neutral    |                  |
|              |               |conductor.          |                  |
|--------------+---------------+--------------------+------------------|
|              |               |Cores may be used   |Cores may be used |
| other colors |       -       |for any purpose,    |for any purpose,  |
|              |               |except as protective|except as         |
|              |               |conductor or neutral|protective        |
|              |               |conductor           |conductor or      |
|              |               |                    |neutral conductor |
|--------------+---------------+--------------------+------------------|

According to the above the Neutral wire should be light blue and not have a
core identification by letters.

mit freundlichen Gruessen/ best regards
Volker Gasse

IBM Germany, Technical Relations/Product Safety,
Tel: +49-7031-16-6796, Fax: -6916, e-mail: ga...@de.ibm.com
Mail:  D3114/7103-91, D-70548 Stuttgart, Germany

---------------------- Forwarded by Volker Gasse/Germany/IBM on 22.04.99

"Crabb, John" <jo...@exchange.scotland.ncr.com> on 22.04.99 11:04:09

Please respond to "Crabb, John" <jo...@exchange.scotland.ncr.com>