To:     emc-p...@ieee.org
cc:      (bcc: Carlos A. Perkins/WIN/Effem)
From:   "Jim Hulbert" <hulbe...@pb.com> on 12/01/2000 20:08

Subject:  Surge Test Performance Criterion

A product has a switched mode power supply with a current sensing circuit that
causes the supply to shut down when a surge pulse is applied to the AC mains in
accordance with EN61000-4-5/IEC1000-4-5.  After about 10 minutes, the supply can
be turned back on and normal operation of the product can be resumed by the
operator.   Does this product conform to criterion B of the EN 50082-1 or EN
55024 standards?  I believe it does because the sensing circuit is specifically
designed to protect the product against this kind of voltage/current surge and
the product operation is fully recoverable by the operator afterward.   However,
I would like to hear how others who do this testing would interpret this.

Jim Hulbert
Senior Engineer - EMC
Pitney Bowes