From: Jim Hulbert [mailto:hulbe...@pb.com]
Sent: Wednesday, January 12, 2000 3:08 PM
To: emc-p...@ieee.org
Subject: Surge Test Performance Criterion

A product has a switched mode power supply with a current sensing circuit
that
causes the supply to shut down when a surge pulse is applied to the AC mains
in
accordance with EN61000-4-5/IEC1000-4-5.  After about 10 minutes, the supply
can
be turned back on and normal operation of the product can be resumed by the
operator.   Does this product conform to criterion B of the EN 50082-1 or EN
55024 standards?  I believe it does because the sensing circuit is
specifically
designed to protect the product against this kind of voltage/current surge
and
the product operation is fully recoverable by the operator afterward.
However,
I would like to hear how others who do this testing would interpret this.

Jim Hulbert
Senior Engineer - EMC
Pitney Bowes