Dear Muriel Paul, Robert, Bob and Group
You are all right about the standards requiring 80-100 cm etc..
But what is was saying was "what I think is essential", not what is
normative.
I got carried away by my opinions and experience and forgot what's
normative.
Sorry to Muriel, because what she wanted is possibly testing according to
the standards and not about how I personally think the standard should be
modified.
The standard however is not so good for establishing the emission.
The mains lead and the manipulations prescribed
are too much a factor reducing reproducibility.
Unless someone requires me to test according to the standard "á la lettre",
I use 50 cm of mains lead. The LISN goes ON the conductive wall, which is
approx 40 cm away. I can tell you , and promise all of you that I got much
better reproducible results this way, avoiding any false curves in the mains
wire. Collegues of mine struggled with 6-9 dB of difference depending on how
the excess length of mains wire is folded (or not).
Especially at higher frequencies (30 Mhz) where 1 meter of cord comes
close(r) to a 1/4 of lambda, things really change. The shorter the better is
what counts here.
The wire does not just behave inductive anymore at this length. The same
goes for the ground wire, but it's effects are smaller as it is shunted by
the EUT's capacity to ground)
In my opinion the test height (and limits) must be  brought back reducing
test hight to 10 cm as in EN 61000-4-6 using horizontal ground plane. This
also increases reroducibility with large EUTS standing up. The CDN concept
has proven reliability upto 200 Mhz, so it must do well upto 30 Mhz ! To be
able to maintain distance of 50 cm to large EUT having "high"or distant
power connections,  a vertical groundplane should also be available. This is
no problem in a  shielded room in generally.

Some people say that one should just let the mains wire "hang-out" as it is,
as in real life the mains wire extends also into the room the length it has.
Ok but why cut it off at the LISN, in real life mains wire extends into the
wall, far beyond any point we can place a LISN at and radiates freely !
Best would be to integrate the classic LISN within the CDN concept as found
for
EN61000-4-6 which is basically the same network as the 50 uH V-network in
LISN, but standardized at 150 Ohms level being the average characteristic
impedance of
mains wires (and other wires)Pff what a phrase).  Some forces are trying to
converge the two, and want to modify the conducted emission level test to
150 Ohms.

Much  to investigate , especially the correlation between former and newer
test results.

Regards,

Gert Gremmen, (Ing)

ce-test, qualified testing

Web presence  http://www.cetest.nl
CE-shop http://www.cetest.nl/ce_shop.htm
/-/ Compliance testing is our core business /-/