"Vaccum" should of course be "Vacuum".  My typing fingers betrayed me....

-----Original Message-----
From: O'Shaughnessy, Paul [mailto:paul_oshaughne...@affymetrix.com]
Sent: Friday, December 01, 2000 10:28 AM
To: 'george_t...@dell.com'; brian_ku...@leco.com;
emc-p...@majordomo.ieee.org
Subject: RE: How does RF travel through outer space?

This question harkens back to the days when it was supposed that there was
some "ether" or etherial material, through which EM waves must propagate.
You can still hear people occasionally say that a message arrived "through
the ether."  It was a (logical at the time) extrapolation from sound waves,
which by their nature need a carrier medium.  So, nobody should feel
inadequate for thinking that such an ether must exist.  Prestigeous
scientists of the last century thought exactly the same thing.  It was was
only the hard evidence of experiment that proved otherwise.

The reality (arrived at only after significant experimentation) is that
electric and magnetic fields (which are really just representations of
observable phyisical attractions and repulsions) simply are.  They exist
regardless of the material (or vaccum) through which they propagate.
Existence in a vaccum is in fact their purest manifestation.  The presence
of material will in fact alter or warp the fields through dielectric or
magnetic permeability (molecular sized electric dipoles or electron spins
which in effect create their own fields).

Hope this helps.

Paul O'Shaughnessy
Affymetrix, Inc.