It seems -- in our haste to include USB handsets under the Directive -- we
have ignored computer microphones. Yet the microphone -- if the handset is
subject -- SHOULD be subject to it. It is no less likely to be used for
communications than a handset connected to the computer, once we are doing
Voice over Internet. But the computer microphones are NOT evaluated under
the R&TTE Directive, even when used for VoIp.

The logical conclusion from this is, that the interposition of the computer
and its modem between the public switched network and the audio device is
enough to remove it from consideration as a terminal device. At least, that
seems to be the practice! Anyone here up to getting R&TTE certification for
EU 0.5 microphones? What about amplified speakers used to receive the
telephone conversation? The sound card? A USB mouse?

A fiction: I once listened to a recorded radio play, with a telephone call
in it. A wizened, malevolent elf sprang out from behind a  curtain,
confiscated my non-R&TTE-compliant tape player (it had played a dial-tone!)
and disappeared. Not indirect enough!  Poof!

Cheers, all!

Cortland Richmond