-----Original Message-----
From: Doug [mailto:dmck...@gte.net]
Sent: Thursday, October 19, 2000 5:43 PM

I'm just about ready to escalate this issue.

Issue:  Major NRTL has recognized a DC-DC power supply.
        Said ps is being used within the confines of
        it's stated purpose, input power, output power,
        temps, etc ...

        Said product is submitted to NRTL for what appeared
        to be a walk through.  Oh no, Mr. McKean.  You can't
        use THAT power supply as intended.  Input fuse of
        power supply (that is the fuse INSIDE the power that
        is out of our hands) is an AC fuse.  It should be a
        DC fuse.  (From the documentation from the ps mfr,
        the approval was done with the aC rated fuse.)

        You have to either:

        1. have the ps mfr change the input fuse.

        or

        2. drop an in-line fuse between the power inlet
           of the product and the input of the ps.

EXCUSE ME!?!

How the heck can a power supply mfr get NRTL approval on one
hand and, yet, when that power supply is used within it's
intended and stated purpose, get rejected?

Even bringing this to the attention of the test engineer
(who has approx over 10 years experience as a test eng)
it defaults to - "well, that's just because the OTHER
test engineer interpreted it that way ... "

I can understand and have been in those areas of
"interpretation" with NRTLs, but this one really ...
er ... surprises me.

Yours truly and totally confused, Doug