Doug,

        Well, as I remember a Recognized component is incomplete and has
Conditions
of Acceptability attached to it which subsequent users (including you, the
using manufacturer) plus the NRTL engineers are supposed to consider in
applying the component in your application.

        I do remember a Recognized power supply that was used in a product...
when
we began the product certification the NRTL engineer pointed out that we had
to do all the power supply testing - including thermal and fault tests - as
the power supply was Recognized without any testing being done...  Guess it
was mostly our fault, we leaned really hard o the supplier to provide the
Recognized supply in a time frame that didn't allow them to completely
finish the certification evaluation, but it does point out that the
component evaluation is negotiable with the cert lab...

        As you can tell, I'm not too sympathetic... Harass your supplier to fix
it,
or provide the protection in your own product.

  br,     Pete

  Peter E Perkins, PE
  Principal Product Safety Consultant
  Tigard, ORe 97281-3427