The company that I work for in the U.K has recentlyreceived from the USA an
item of test equipment, provided to us under contract, in which, we
discovered, the 240v neutral line was connected to earth/unit chassis. This
became apparent when the unit was plugged into a U.K 120-0-120 supply and
protective devices tripped..

My questions are these:

I am not familiar with US safety standards. Am I correct in assuming that,
for instance, the National Electrical Code and standards such as UL 1950
would only allow such a neutral/earth connection within the equipment if
the power source is derived from, say, an isolation transformer? Or is
there no U.S standardisation with regard to this.

Given that we were not informed in advance of any such constraint on the
manner in which power was to be supplied to the equipment, I wonder how
widespread the issue of supply of such equipment to the U.K might be. Any
comments anyone?

What would be the view of people in the USA with respect of the supply of
such an item of equipment to the U.K. Do US Standards, Codes of Practice
etc dictate that supplied equipment must be safe when used in the receiving
country, as opposed to the supplying country?

 Thanks for reading this. I look forward to any comments

Dave Palmer