On the subject of TCF and waiving tests, lets say you were to waive a test
because its non-applicable.  For instance, line conducted when the unit is
battery powered.  Does this mean that you are required to go the TCF route?

-----Original Message-----
From: tinb...@aol.com [mailto:tinb...@aol.com]
Sent: Monday, October 02, 2000 10:25 AM
To: cdup...@cs.com; fr...@amcomm.com
Cc: emc-p...@ieee.org
Subject: Re: Getting Started

Chris,

I am interested in knowing the basis of your response to items 1 and 2, as
it is contrary to my understanding of the EMC Directive.

Specifically, it was my understanding that unless the manufacturer is
following ALL of the requirements specified in Standard(s), that they must
follow the TCF route and obtain a report or certificate from a Competent
Body, as outlined per Article 10(2) of the EMC Directive states that "In the
case of apparatus for which the manufacturer has not applied, or has applied
only in part, the standards referred to in Article 7(1) or failing such
standards, the manufacturer or his authorized respresentative established
within the Community shall hold at the disposal of the relevant competent
authorities, as soon as the apparatus is placed on the market, a technical
construction file. This file shall describe the apparatus..... and include a
technical report or certificate, one or other obtained from a competent
body."

If a manufacturer uses their engineering rationale to waive all of the EMC
testing specified in standards, they have only applied part of the standard
and as such, the EMC Directive would require that the rationale and the TCF
be reviewed by a European EMC Competent Body.

Furthermore, I believe that UK's DTI is consistent with EMC Directive's
philosophy outlined in Article 10(2).  In the October 1992 DTI's Guidance
Document on the Preparation of a Technical Construction File as required by
EC Directive 89/336, Section 1.3 outlines the "Circumstances where the TCF
might be used", "ii) For apparatus where harmonized standards exist but the
manufacturer applied that standard in part only, eg where a manufacturer can
justify that a particular type of apparatus complies with the protection
requirements of the Directive without performing tests to any or all of the
phenomena described in the relevant harmonized specifications."

I am interested in learning whether UK has established an updated position
which allows manufacturer to waive testing (altogether) and still
self-declare conformity to the EMC Directive through the standards route?

Regards

Tin

In a message dated Sun, 1 Oct 2000  2:58:00 AM Eastern Daylight Time,