From: FRIES [mailto:fr...@amcomm.com]
Sent: Friday, September 29, 2000 10:36 AM
To: 'emc-p...@ieee.org'
Subject: Getting Started

Dear Group,

I'm just getting started in the world of EMI and would like to ask a few
questions.  I'm not sure if I should be going the TCF route or the Standards
Route.  The company that I work for manufactures products which have many
variants.

1)  Is it EC law that a manufacturer must perform EMI testing before
applying the CE mark?

2)  If a manufacturer follows the Standards Route, does EC law require each
variant to be tested?

3)  If, when testing, the limit is exceeded, can the CE mark still be
applied?

4)  Are the services of a Competent Body required in order to put together a
TCF or can the manufacturer do that on his own?

Thanks in advance,
Joseph C. Fries