From: EXT Ken Javor [mailto:ken.ja...@emccompliance.com]
Sent: Thursday, September 07, 2000 11:43 AM
To: Paolo Roncone; 'eric.lif...@ni.com'
Cc: 'emc-p...@ieee.org'
Subject: Re: R: Conducted Emissions on Telecom Ports

Although I don't work commercial EMC on a regular basis and I do not know
over what frequency range the telecom port CE are controlled (I assume here
150 kHz - 30 MHz), I believe that there is a mistaken premise inherent in
the comments to which I am responding.  The purpose of controlling common
mode CE on any port is not to protect equipment at the other end of the
cable, or other co-sited cables, but rather to control radiated emissions in
a frequency range in which CE are easier to measure than RE.  In turn, the
purpose of controlling RE is to protect broadcast radio reception.
----------
>From: Paolo Roncone <paolo.ronc...@compuprint.it>
>To: "'eric.lif...@ni.com'" <eric.lif...@ni.com>
>Cc: "'emc-p...@ieee.org'" <emc-p...@ieee.org>
>Subject: R: Conducted Emissions on Telecom Ports
>Date: Thu, Sep 7, 2000, 9:45 AM
>

> Hi Eric,
>
> I 100% agree with you. The scope of emissions standard should be to
protect
> the "outside" (i.e. public) environment from interference. So only ports
> that connect to public telecom networks should be covered by the standard.
> The problem is (as pointed out in one of the previous notes) that the new
> CISPR22 / EN55022 standard clearly includes LAN ports in the definition of
> telecommunications ports (section 3.6) no matter if they connect to the
> "outside world" or not.
>
> Regards,
>
> Paolo Roncone
> Compuprint s.p.a.
> Italy

It
was
> specifically aimed at unscreened cables over a certain length being placed
in
> cable ducts and their impact on adjacent telecomms cables (if anybody
remebers
> StarLan this was the product I was involved in).
>
> Chris.
>

> "Pryor McGinnis" <c...@prodigy.net> on 05/09/2000 20:54:51
>
> Please respond to "Pryor McGinnis" <c...@prodigy.net>
>
> Sent by:  "Pryor McGinnis" <c...@prodigy.net>
>

> To:   david_ster...@ademco.com, emc-p...@ieee.org,
>       gary.mcintu...@worldwidepackets.com
> cc:    (Chris Allen/GB/3Com)
> Subject:  Re: Conducted Emissions on Telecom Ports
>

> I do not disagree with the positions posted on this subject.  My question
is
> how does the EU interpret and enforce this requirement/definition.
>
> Pryor

Look