I have long forgotten the equation for computing free space transmission
loss, but it seems to me that when radiated power, frequency, and distance
are known, one can certainly predict field intensity at any other distance.
If that is not true, we have made a large number of terrestrial microwave
transmission paths work purely by accident.

Also, CISPR 22 11.2.1:
"NOTE - If the field-strength measurement at 10 m cannot be made because of
high ambient noise levels or for other reasons, measurements of Class B
EUT's may be made at a closer distance, for example 3 m. An inverse
proportionality factor of 20 dB per decade should be used to normalize the
measured data to the specified distance for determining compliance. Card
should be taken in the measurement of large EUT's at 3 m at frequencies near
30 MHz due to near field effects."

Someone at IEC thinks its possible. And many labs do, in fact, test at 3
meters.

I was not suggesting that it would be wise or meaningful to do these things.
My point is simply that it is wise to maximize the emissions from an EUT to
insure that we are not missing emissions which may be above the limits, and
that the end user of the equipment is not likely to inadvertently create
such a situation.

  _\\|//_
 (' O-O ')
ooO-(_)-Ooo