Hi Barbara and group,

Unlikely means that the equipment has no variations in power supply current,
or variations that cause voltage fluctuations are below the most stringent
level in the standard. Just evaluate the (Imax. - Imin. = Idifference)
RMS-current during a full operating cycle and compare to the required level
(after multiplying with the reference impedance).

If you want to dig further in it you can make a conservative estimation of
the number of variations per minute. Take the highest (fastest) value you
can find, and compare to the appropriate entry in the flicker table.

In general:
- equipment with a power consumption below 100 VA max is unlikely to create
flicker problems.

- Most equipment under 500 VA will not create flicker problems

- Many equipment over 500 VA will create flicker problems only if switching
full load on and off in a rhythm faster then once per second

- Equipment over 1000 VA that has switching cycles is likely to cause some
form of flicker and certainly needs evaluation.

Beware of the new requirement for in-rush current though !!!!

Regards,

Gert Gremmen, (Ing)

ce-test, qualified testing

Web presence  http://www.cetest.nl
CE-shop http://www.cetest.nl/ce_shop.htm
/-/ Compliance testing is our core business /-/