I'm posting this for a friend who is having a problem with CSA and hipot
testing.  He has several products which operate on 115/230 VAC. They are
industrial control products (don't know the CSA standard number but they
fall under UL508 is the US). In one CSA report he is required to run a 1500
VAC hipot for one minute (1800 VAC for one second), in another CSA report he
is required to run 1000 VAC for one minute (1200 VAC for one second).

I know the CSA hipot requirement is elusive and is required by the Canadian
Electric companies.  Can anyone help me give this guy some guidance?  My
feeling is that the 1500 VAC requirement is the "type" test and he should be
using the 1000 VAC value for routine production tests.

He has been told by CSA that anything under 50 VAC gets tested at 1000 VAC
and that anything over that gets tested at
2 x rated voltage +1000 for production line tests.  Seems strange.

Mike Morrow
Senior Compliance Engineer
Ucentric Systems
978-897-6482