From: Dan Mitchell [mailto:dan_mitch...@condordc.com]
Sent: Wednesday, June 28, 2000 8:32 AM
To: emc-p...@ieee.org
Subject: UL1950/UL2601 Thermals

In UL2601 Clause 42.3.3) Duty Cycle - for Equipment for Continuous
operation it lists 2 ways to conclude the test a) temperature of the
windings stabilize and do not increase by more than 2 deg. C in 1 hr, or b)
2.5 hr, which ever is shorter.

UL1950 only states that; "for continuous operation, until steady conditions
are established".  I haven't been able to establish what is meant by
"Steady Conditions".  I was told once by a rep. of a large safety company
that it meant "no more than a 1 deg. C rise in 15 minute period".  However,
since I can't find this written in the standard, I am a bit skeptical.

If anybody has a good definition of "Steady Conditions" and can point it
out to me in UL1950 or in the PAGs, I would appreciate it.

Daniel W. Mitchell
Product Safety Engineer
Condor DC Power Supplies, Inc.

P: (805) 486-4565 x323