Many things to cover:

Mechanism for approval process over a distributed area.
Coordination of notification over a distributed area.

Is this a true ECN, or do you still need approvals?  If you need approvals,
you might end up getting a change to your "ECN"  Therefore, you'll need to
split the process of changing a product into a two step process: an ECR, or
such,  with all the proposed changes on that, distributed, ok'd and then
implemented as the actual ECN.  Requires more paper work since you have to
keep track of OLD, PROPOSED NEW, & then NEW.  When new is implemented, trash
PROPOSED NEW.  But the advantage is a distinct and single point in time for
the transition from old to new.

For coordination, you'll want to select one day of the week, or two days of
the month for implementing ECN's (that's when all the approvals happen and
the proposed changes get implemented into the ECN)  After approval, instant
dissemination to all.

Responsibility of ECN resides in Engineering and the coordination of ECN's
are usually delegated to the product manager, or the product manager's
delegate.
This obviously disperses the individual number a person must work on and
makes certain the most cognizant person is working on it.

A change to a product is very serious and should not be entered into
lightly, all parties necessary to approve the change must be notified of the
proposed change at least 1 week before the "approval" meeting.  Absolutely
*ALL* impacted parties must be notified and flagged for their attention.
This gives time for feedback (all should have already been done prior to
writing the "final" draft of the ECN which will be used for approval.  But
still the interim process absolutely insures impacted parties were
notified - no "oversight"s allowed, as in, "I talked to you and you said it
was ok, etc. etc. ""

You'll need a presidential approval of the coordinated approval process
since it transcends boundaries, but doing this WILL keep the company
coordinated and expeditiously implementing ECNs.

One caveat though, you must also set up "emergency" ECN procedures.  Those
that have to be done by 5pm today for that you'll need a "walk through"
procedure.

As far as notifying everybody, electronic notification is great.  But you'll
need feedback that notification has been received.  Even faxes are not
reliable (we get an innordinate number of wrong number faxes here!)

Then there's the best solution - don't change the product.  <g>

                                       - Robert -

PS  Although not strictly on topic, this was of interest since so many
changes are caused by EMC being left 'til the last minute on so many
products.