Forwarded for George..

Subject:    RE: Charge moving from decoupling capacitors
Author: george_t...@dell.com
Date:       5/23/00 12:35 PM

Let's say that you have a cap placed at 1/4 wavelength away from an IC pwr
pin.  When the IC draws current from the Pwr/gnd planes, it causes a voltage
dip/pwr bounce on the parallel planes.  This voltage dip propagates to the
cap at 1/4 wavelength away and draws current out of the cap.  The current
from the cap propagates back to the IC pwr pin at 1/4 wavelength away.  The
total travel for the incident and reflected wave is 1/4 + 1/4 = 1/2
wavelength.  The supply current is 180 degrees out of phase from the IC
switching current.  Some people say that the cap needs to be closer than 1/2
of rising edge.  But you can also calculate the wavelength of the 3rd and
5th harmonic of your pulse to determine your cap placement.

Regards,

George Tang
george_t...@dell.com