Hi Doug:

>   Without knowing the issue, we connected two different machines
>   with a coax.  Each machine eventually connected to different
>   substations by way of differently sourced outlets.  And we
>   watched with amazement as the rubber jacket of the coax melted.
>   All with a 15V difference.  The electricians were notified

I'll bet it wasn't the voltage, but the current through the
resistance of the coax that caused the voltage difference.

I'll bet the coax was carrying part of the neutral current.
If the neutral is grounded at more than one point, then the
protective ground conductors are in parallel with the
neutral and will carry some of the neutral current.

Best regards,
Rich