Jim,

I had this same problem when I worked for the Air Force.  We needed to
transport a number of devices containing Lithium batteries.  At that time,
my best resource for information was the battery manufacturer.  Since
batteries are their livlihood, they make it a point to understand the
governmental and shipping regulations for their products.  Who ships more
batteries than a battery manufacturer? :-)

In my case, the batteries were manufactured by Tadiran.   I contacted
Tadiran and they proved to be very helpful.  Their New York office's phone
number is 212-751-3600, they also have an email of sa...@tadiranbat.com.
They are also on the web.

Chris Maxwell, Design Engineer
GN Nettest Optical Division