From:   Jim Bacher[SMTP:jim_bac...@mail.monarch.com]
Sent:   22 March 2000 16:41
To:     emc-p...@ieee.org
Cc:     wjack...@harris.com
Subject:        Fwd:Lithium and Lithium-Ion Battery Safety

Forwarded for wjack...@harris.com   by Jim

____________________Forward Header_____________________
Subject:    Lithium and Lithium-Ion Battery Safety
Author: "Jackson; William" <wjack...@harris.com>
Date:       3/22/00 11:24 AM

Good Morning All,

I have a couple of questions concerning safety of lithium batteries.
Because these batteries( 1/2 AA and BA-5590/U)  contain some amount of
lithium which can be hazardous when it reacts with water, I believe these
batteries fall under the category of hazardous material.  I am not sure
that
they aren't exempt from governmental regulation.

1.  Can anyone direct me to where I might find USA and foreign regulations
concerning the transportation of lithium batteries.

2.  Can lithium-ion batteries be transported in a charged state, globally?
am aware that some of these batteries are used in laptop computers and
folks
travel with them all over the world and when you buy them off shelf in
stores  I believe they are charged.   I have reviewed one manufacturer's
MSDS and it doesn't really provide any information concerning the battery
transported in the charged state.

Thanks,
Bill
Harris