>   According to ANSI Z35.4 the following definitions are provided:
>

>   DANGER - Indicates an imminently hazardous situation which, if not
>   avoided will result in death or serious injury. This signal word is to
>   be limited to the most extreme situations.
>
>   WARNING - Indicates a potentially hazardous situation which, if not
>   avoided may result in minor or moderate injury. It may also be used to
>   alert against unsafe practices.
>
>   CAUTION - Indicates a potentially hazardous situation which, if not
>   avoided may result in minor or moderate injury. It may also be used to
>   alert against unsafe practices.
>
>   Note: DANGER or WARNING should not be considered for property damage
>   accidents unless personal injury risk appropriate to these levels is
>   also involved. CAUTION is permitted for property-damage-only accidents.

I feel the authors of these definitions neither consulted
a dictionary nor the users of warnings.  According to my
Webster's Collegiate Dictionary:

    warn (verb):  1a: to give notice to beforehand, especially
    of danger or evil; 1b: to give admonishing advice to; 1c:
    to call to one's attention; 2: to order to go or stay away:
    to give a warning.

So, all of the ANSI definitions serve to warn.

    warning (noun):  1: the act of warning: the state of being
    warned; 2: something that warns or serves to warn, especially
    a notice or bulletin that alerts the public that a tornado
    has been reported in the immediate vicinity or that the
    approach of a severe storm is imminent.

So, all of the ANSI definitions are warnings.

    danger (noun):  1:  (archaic);  2:  (obsolete); 3:  exposure
    or liability to injury, pain, harm, or loss <a place where
    children could play without danger>;  4:  a case or cause of
    danger <the dangers of mining>.

So, the word "danger" refers to a "thing."

    caution (noun):  1: warning, admonishment; 2: precaution; 3:
    prudent forethought to minimize risk; 4: one that astonishes
    or commands attention <some shoes you see these days are a
    caution>.

So, the word "caution" is defined as a "warning."

The so-called signal words are fabrications unrelated to the
definitions of the words.  This is a shame because it dilutes the
power of the words.

In my experience, users do not understand the subtle differences
intended by the signal words.

Best regards,
Rich

Richard Nute