The standard which defines these signal words in the US is ANSI Z535.4
(1998) - Product safety signs and labels.  Here is the excerpt from that
part of the standard:

"4.13.1  DANGER:  Indicates an imminently hazardous situation which, if not
avoided, will result in death or serious injury.  This signal word is to be
limited to the most extreme situations."

"4.13.2  WARNING:  Indicates a potentially hazardous situation which, if not
avoided, could result in death or serious injury."

"4.13.3  CAUTION:  Indicates a potentially hazardous situation which, if not
avoided, may result in minor or moderate injury.  It may also be used to
alert against unsafe practices."

"NOTE - DANGER or WARNING should not be considered for property damage
accidents unless personal injury risk appropriate to these levels is also
involved.  CAUTION is permitted for property-damage-only accidents.  The
safety alert symbol should not be used to alert persons to
property-damage-only accidents."

As far as international goes (IEC), it is my experience and after looking
through the IEC dictionary, that only the term Warning is used.  Keep in
mind that there is a major push in many non-US countries (i.e., EU) to use
symbology instead of text.

If I can be of any further assistance, please let me know.

Sincerely,

Nick Momcilovic
Product Safety Coordinator

QTI