I feel like jumping in on this very interesting and enlightening thread. As it
reinforces a few issues I have often
had to explain to the various design engineers and gives me more ammunition to
support the need for fault testing.

Just because a product is UL approved does not mean it is safe or suitable for
the application. In Europe the LVD
covers this quite clearly by stating that testing to a standard alone, is
inadequate for demonstrating compliance to
the directive. We have to go that one step further and consider forcible use
and misuse.

After all standards evolve as lessons, like this one, are learnt. If there were
never any electrical fires, there
would be no safety standards. When a new revision of a UL standard is issued,
manufactures generally have 5 years
before they must submit their old products for approval to the new level of
standard. Even then, this does not apply
to products already within the supply chain. The chap actually selling the
goods might have no idea that the UL marked
goods they are dutifully selling, were approved to a now defunct standard and
they nolonger comply !

Also reinforces the basic rule, if it is plastic and the ignition source is
large enough, it will burn. A 5V or V0
flame rating does not mean it is fire proof, just that it will not contribute
to the fire.

Personally though I have never been comfortable with US plugs and outlets with
out an inbuilt on/off switch. I like
our big chunky UK plugs.

Anyway, slightly off track. But it Friday night, so time to say have a good
weekend everyone.

PS. Enough of the fish jokes !

--

Andrew Carson - Product Safety Engineer, Xyratex, UK
Phone: +44 (0)23 9249 6855 Fax: +44 (0)23 9249 6014