From: Rich Nute [mailto:ri...@sdd.hp.com]
Sent: Thursday, October 25, 2001 2:11 PM
To: jack.c...@cax.usa.xerox.com
Cc: emc-p...@majordomo.ieee.org
Subject: Re: skinny power cords.

Hi Jack:

>   I'm having a problem with Rich's explanation in this particular case (I
know
>   it's often true, though).  How did resisitive heating occur *without*
>   current flow?  It was clearly stated that the heater was switched OFF.

I believe that the process I described takes a
lot of time.  It starts when the heater is first
used, i.e., a heavy current through the plug and
socket.  The heating due to the contact resistance
degrades the material between the blades of the
plug due to pyrolysis, the decomposition of a
material by heat alone.

The decomposition results in unknown materials
between the blades.  Plastics are carbon-based.
Decomposition of carbon-based materials tends to
reduce the size of the molecule, and the material
approaches pure carbon, a resistor.

So, we can assume that these unknown materials
are resistive.  We will have a leakage current
through the resistance.

Once the leakage path is established, the heater
does not need to be on for the process to continue.

Since this isn't a "good" resistance, some elements
will open, and micro-arcs will occur.  These micro-
arcs create new resistances, and the leakage current
will continue to increase.  And the arcs get bigger.

Etc.

I could be wrong...

Best regards,
Rich