Peter,

Sorry for the delay. It depends on how large the batteries are. UL has
one standard for Li Ion Batteries based on Lithium content [technician
replaceable lithium batteries that contain 5.0 g (0.18 ounce) or less
of metallic lithium; OR user-replaceable lithium batteries that contain
4.0 g (0.13 ounce) or less of metallic lithium with not more than 1.0
g (0.04 ounce) of metallic lithium in each electrochemical cell.] This
standard is UL 1642. There is also a Commercial and Household Battery
Pack standard that covers batteries up to 10mAh max. capacity. IF the
cells are larger than these values, then they may have to be covered under
the standard that is used to evaluate the end product they are used with.
An example is tool batteries that would be covered under the tool standard
and not the battery standard.

As far as the international standards go, the same type of scenario exists.
 If you can let me know the size and intended use of the batteries, I
can gather a lot more information.

Best Regards,
Scott Proffitt
Advanced Compliance Solutions, Inc.
EMC, Product Safety, Environmental & Product Performance
Testing Lab
770-831-8048
acstestlab.com