To the group:

Having monitored some of the discussion on this thread, I thought that I
would weigh in with some of my experience with this test. The purpose of the
test is to subject the E.U.T. to a specific force of impact from a hard
steel impactor (ball) of known radius. The surface should be smooth to avoid
subjecting the E.U.T. to additional point stress (the "center punch"
effect). Anything else is frosting on the cake. It does not matter whether
the ball is dropped or swung, as long as the force is consistent and the
E.U.T. is firmly mounted.

A ball bearing is perfect for the job. A typical chrome steel ball is more
than hard enough to meet the specification. If the weight is a little off
just raise or lower the drop height to compensate. An eyebolt is nice but
not really needed. The reason the "official" balls cost so much is the
difficulty of machining the ball for the bolt, and the fact that these are
very low volume items. A trailer hitch ball will also work without
modification. Just weigh it, calculate the drop height, hold it by the
threaded bit and "bombs away". A tube is nice but not needed if you can drop
the weight accurately. The idea of standing on a chair is excellent as a 1kg
ball can make a serious bruise! I would also recommend padding the floor
(except under the E.U.T.) with cardboard or carpeting scraps so the ball
won't get all scratched up. If you really must have an eyebolt and don't
want to spend the money thread a flanged nut onto an eyebolt and epoxy it
onto the ball with a steel-filled epoxy (common at auto parts stores). It
may break off occasionally but you can just re-epoxy it. Just degrease all
the parts before gluing and it works surprisingly well.

Have Fun
Scott Lacey