>John Barnes wrote:
>One defense is to use tinsel or static-discharger brushes
>to bleed charge off the paper...Another technique is to make
>plastic parts.. of antistatic materials...make sure that every
>shaft has a grounding contact...use conductive grease in the bearings...

John,
Have you tried using a radioactive isotope?  Polonium 210, available in 50
microCurie "Dots", is extremely effective - it ionizes the path between the
charged surfaces - and Presto, no more charge! (Po210: alpha, halflife around
1/2 year).  This technique is, I understand, used in CD "StaticBusters".  The
activity level is too low to require the use of the radioactivity symbol.
Contact NRD, (www.nrdstaticcontrol.com), for info.
(No connection with this vendor but have used their product with great success
in a different application).
Hope this helps,

Tony Firth, Electrical Eng.,
Quester Technology Inc.,Fremont,CA