From: Courtland Thomas [mailto:ctho...@patton.com]
Sent: Thursday, June 21, 2001 1:09 PM
To: emcpost
Subject: RTTE Directive

Hello group,

After reading through the RTTE Directive for the fifth or sixth time, I am
still not clear on the use of the notified/competent body and European
representative. It seems to me that I can get all my testing done, whether
it be my own internal testing or using an outside lab, and then just file
the test reports. There is some mention of the notified body and
representative, but not enough for me to feel it necessary to have either. I
realize for equipment that doesn't fall under the RTTE Directive, the
notified/competent body performs the assessment of the equipment to the
particular standards, but isn't the intent of the RTTE Directive to
eliminate this requirement and place that burden on the manufacturer? For
some reason I just don't see the requirement for those entities after
reading through the directive. Maybe someone else can give me their
interpretation.

Thanks,

Courtland Thomas
Patton Electronics