I would not interpret the R&TTE Directive that way.  Its intent is for
equipment directly or indirectly connected to the public switched
network.  If ther is no network connection, there is no requirement.
Furthermore, it is the interface to the network that applies.  For
instance, PC's on an Ethernet LAN with connectivity to the Internet via
telecommunications lines do not need to meet the RTTE.  But, the router
or server connected to the network does -- or at least its interface to
the network.
John P. Wagner
AVAYA Communication
1300 W. 120th Ave, Room B3-D16