Hello group,

I am in the process of specifying detachable AC cordsets for European
distribution of my product.  It uses an autoranging power supply
(100-240VAC) and is rated for 12 A max with a C14 appliance coupler.  I
initially thought this would be a trivial task of matching plug and
connector variations for each of the EU countries and specifying a 12 A
cord.  However, it looks like all the cordsets that are generally available
with European connectors are rated for 10 A max.  I am also lead to believe
that the C14 coupler is rated for 15A in North America, but only 10 amps in
Europe.  Are electrons hotter on the east side of the pond??

Amongst my circle of compliance peers, there seems to be a difference of
opinion as to what current rating the cordset should have.  I would think
that the current rating of any cordset I choose for Europe would need to be
rated for 12A (Better safe than sorry, right?).  But half of the people I've
talked to say, "But why?  The current will be about half of the 12A max, or
6 amps, due to the higher line voltage.  And after all, the mains voltage
should be within 10% of nominal!!  Therefore a 10A cordset is plenty good!"

If I had my way, I would special order a 12A cordset (And I guess this would
change my appliance coupler?).  But, it would be nice if I could buy an
off-the-shelf 10A cordset because of pricing and availability issues.

Any comments?

Thanks in advance,

Paul Hare
ph...@pirus.com